Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 03:37:21 -0600 (MDT) From: hayes@apo.nmsu.edu Subject: 2.5 m obslog 990509 (MJD 51308) Sunday May 9, 1999 Apache Point Observatory SDSS 2.5m Observing Log Observing Team: Jeffrey Hayes (APO) Ellyne Kinney (APO) Bob Nichol (CMU) Matt Newcomb (CMU) Connie Rockosi (UC) Weather: Clear and rising dust. Very windy: ~29 mph steady and gusts up to 35 mph. We waited till 21:30 MDT to open after the winds died down. We forgot to mention in last night's log that the 15 degree stop behaved as advertized all night. Save for the one incident we saw early in the evening. We believe that part of our problem last night while trying to get the guiding to work consistantly was that by the time we got on track, the K field was well over to the west so that the local offset correction and the differential atmospheric refraction were killing us. We have found an FK5 star pretty much in the K field now, so this should not be a problem. We started our session by slewing to the FK5 star and finding it in the fibre! We tried to use the finder telescope to update the pointing model, but it appears to be out of alignment as the offsets we tried where very large, we could not find the star, and couldn't centre the star in the fibre. We then tried a blind pointing without using the finder telescope and trusting the pointing model. This time, success! We then tried to focus the star. We found that optimal focus tonight was 4000 --- much higher than expected. We note that at this point the weather started to deteriorate -- steady winds up to 30 mph and gusts to 39 mph. It was at this point that we closed at 23:00 MDT. We have taken a series of short integrations of the FK5 star to see how well the telescope holds up in high winds. These data are to be analysed to see if we should modify the current closure conditions (which are opening for sustained winds under 25 mph, and gusts less than 30 mph: closing are gusts of 35 mph and above). We note from direct observation though, that the building around the pier does move with gusts higher than about 30 mph. We did try and open at 02:30 MDT, but by 03:00 MDT there were continuing gusts over 30 mph, and the dust at 1 micron spiked over 3000 PpCF. At 03:30 MDT we decided to end the attempts to open. Jeffrey