Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 04:28:55 -0600 (MDT) From: hayes@apo.nmsu.edu Subject: obslog for 990522 (MJD 51321) Saturday May 22, 1999 Apache Point Observatory SDSS 2.5m Observing Log Observing Team: Jeffrey Hayes (APO) Ellyne Kinney (APO) Jim Gunn (PU) Bob Nichol (CMU) Russell Owen (UW) -- remote Weather: Initially partly cloudy with moderate dust. Winds: ~15 mph steady and gusts up to 25 mph. On tap tonight, use the pointing model from last night and conduct guiding tests for the spectrographs. We had French's help in installing the corrector lens in the late afternoon. It was installed on the telescope, just before the thunderstorm was upon us. Some of us involved had our first monsoon-style close-up. We opened at about 9 pm MDT, but we had to install the cartridge at this time due to the thunderstorm and the high dust/humidity afterwards kept us from doing much else. The CW were set of 340 for the cartridge + corrector combination. We got on the air at 11:15 pm MDT. The spectroscopic folks gained control of the telescope via "sop", and managed to test some of their code: slewing the telescope; the task STARPATTERN, that will automatically generate a instrument block for the plate; and OBJTOCALIB that will take an object offset and convert it to a calibration offset. These all seemed to work. We also tried to get stars down the fibers but clouds rolled in. We tried to wait the clouds out, but more come in, and we decided, like the 3.5 m people to close up at 12:05 am MDT. MCP code worked okay, until we decided to put the telescope to stow in order to close up: while slewing from about AZ=30 to stow at AZ = 120:45, the telescope stopped moving at about 60 degrees. A sequence of 'H', 'S', 'H', and then an 'M' started it on its way again to complete the slew. This might be due to the fact that we are running on only 2 amps for the AZ windscreen? The opening values for the before/after setting of the fiducials via the AZ 118:59:59:994 before 118:59:53:827 after ALT 12:59:59:999 before 12:59:51:804 after ROT 03:59:59:995 before 04:00:05:538 after As we closed reasonably quickly due to the increasing cloud cover, we did not take closing fiducials. We reopened at about 2:30 am MDT, but by the time we were on the sky at about 2:50 am, the clouds came back in. We waited 15 minutes. The clouds persisted, and by 3:05 am, we decided to close again. At 3:15 am, everybody agreed that the onset of twilight was close enough that it would preclude much useful work from getting done -- assuming the clouds opened up in the first place. The clouds never cleared by 4:30 am, and so we called it a night. Ellyne and Jeffrey